Leaf & Vine Cardigan is currently available exclusively from knitpicks.com, digitally as either an individual pattern or as part of the Haven; Knit Lace Patterns collection, published by Knit Picks in 2022. Physical books of the whole collection will be available from them at the end of July.
Named in honor of the two traditional lace patterns used, Leaf & Vine is an elegant, oversized cardigan with very short sleeves. It floats to just below the full hip in its full-length version, with a shorter version stopping just below the waist.
Worked flat in pieces from the bottom up, Leaf & Vine begins with a garter stitch border before moving into columns of lace panels. Vine Lace is used in the center back, sides and front edges and Trellis-framed Leaf Pattern (Trellis Lace) forms the rest of the fabric. Pattern repeats are manipulated to maintain symmetry across the garment.
Lace patterns are both written and charted.
Sample is 44.5” full length; model is 34”
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette (100% Peruvian Highland Wool; 231 yards/50g): Green Tea Heather 24258; 3-7 balls (693-1617yds)
Needles: Size 7 (4.5mm) 24–32″ circular needles or size to obtain gauge
Notions: 10 stitch markers, waste yarn/stitch holder, yarn needle, blocking pins and wires.
- 17 sts and 21 rows = 4″ in Vine Lace Pattern, while blocking
- 19 sts and 21 rows = 4″ in Trellis Lace Pattern, while blocking
- Relaxed gauge: 20.75 sts and 24.75 rows = 4″ in both lace patterns
- Short length (18″) and Long Length (28″) available in all chest sizes.
- Finished chest measurements: 38 (42, 44.5, 49.5, 53)(56, 60, 64, 68.5, 71)”, intended to be worn with 7-10″ positive ease.